Most of us think of Black Widow as Scarlett Johansson in a sleek black utility jumpsuit and boots, crouching in her signature extended leg battle position, ready to kick ass with super powers we’re not quite sure about.
A lot of our questions about her past and her powers are answered in Disney’s new Black Widow movie, a fabulous flick that holds its own and then some in the Marvel Universe. It’s the origin story of the KGB assassin-turned-Avenger, with faux family, friends, fiends and foes exposed—one of the best films of the summer, in our critics’ book.
But Black Widow the character goes way back beyond the first time we saw her on the big screen in 2010 in Iron Man 2 in 2010. She has experienced quite a few, sometimes confusing, story arcs since she was first introduced 57 years ago in 1964. She’s also been decked out in a giant closet’s worth of sometimes confusing, Black Widow fashion.
We’re especially fond of (and confused by), the first two entries in the timeline of Black Widow fashion, as pictured below. How can a high class society lady kick do her deathly duty in platform heels, a pill box hat and a pencil skirt? We also wonder how super hero practical head-to-toe fishnet and a leather bustier might be. Special thanks to Ace Cash Express for providing the infographic below.
So what types of special abilities does Black Widow fashion have to accommodate? We were never absolutely sure about Black Widow super powers (until her own movie came out), but it helps that she was given a major dose of Super-Serum.
Thanks to a Soviet version of Super-Soldier serum, Black Widow possesses increased reflexes, durability, and agility. She also heals five times faster than the average human with little to no scarring. This helps with her other enhanced abilities, which include:
- Master Assassin – Trained in assassination techniques from an early age, Black Widow advanced to become the KGB’s deadliest assassin and eliminated numerous enemies.
- Master Martial Artist – Black Widow is trained in various forms of martial arts and can hold her own against skilled fighters, like Wolverine, Winter Soldier, Elektra, and Punisher.
- Weapons Expert – Black Widow is an excellent marksman and is experienced with most small arms weapons.
- Slowed Aging – The Super-Soldier serum extends Natasha’s lifespan and preserves her youthful appearance, despite being born in 1928. This is the super power we’d really rather.
- Polyglot – Black Widow is fluent in eight languages, including Russian, English, French, German, Chinese, Italian, Vietnamese, and Latin.
Now there is one breakout member of the Black Widow fashion collection from the film that you just might see made for the masses. That’s the multi-purpose utility vest that little sister Yelena (Florence Pugh) made herself, and it has sentimental, as well as practical value. Stick around through the credits to get the full effect.
You think Scarlett Johansson’s super utility jumpsuits are fabulous? Just wait until you get a look at Black Widow fashion over the last 57 years!