The past year and a half of hovering at home has led to weight gain and lethargy for lots of folks. Others have taken advantage of their “me time” and turned to increased exercise, especially running.
Not only is running great exercise, but the endorphins are an excellent side-benefit that help you beat the blues
Home fitness is in, and Americans don’t show signs of slowing down anytime soon. According to a poll posted by Runner’s World before the pandemic, a whopping 82% of runners listen to music while pounding the pavement (or treadmill).
What’s everyone listening to as they log their jog miles? The team at WhistleOut used new Spotify data to figure it out and the results might surprise you. They analyzed over 7,000 hours of music and almost 1,000 running playlists to find which songs keep you running.
To find out the top songs for running, they analyzed data from 7,107 hours of music across 964 playlists on Spotify that include the word “running” in either the name or description. Songs and artists were ordered based on how many times they appeared in playlists.
5 Top Songs For Running – These Songs Will Get Your Heart Rate Revved
Furthermore, the power and popularity of running during this time was revealed on Global Running Day with new findings from Nielsen – the official research and intelligence supplier to World Athletics – highlighting how runners have increased their participation and the health benefits they gain from it. Nielsen polled people in 10 countries, and here’s what they found:
- 4 in 10 people consider themselves to be runners and 30 per cent of those run at least once a week.
- Of all runners, 53% are men and 47% are women.
- More than a fifth of all runners reveal that they run more often than they did previously as a result of Covid-19 and most in that group say they will continue to run more often once the pandemic is over.
- Those aged 25-34 are most likely to be passionate about running, with 50 per cent agreeing that it is a part of who they are.
- Runners are more likely to consider themselves to be warm and friendly, family oriented, optimistic and passionate, showing greater confidence to associate themselves with positive personality characteristics.
- For current runners, the biggest factors in the decision to run are health reasons, the ability to go at your own pace and not needing much equipment.
These top songs for running on Spotify’s playlists may not make you love the treadmill, but the beats will catapult you into calorie-burning mode.